A spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, an arm of the Department of Homeland Security, said the thousands of detainees selected for release over the past week – among an estimated 8,000 – 10,000 scheduled for release – were “noncriminals and other low-risk offenders who do not have serious criminal histories.”
This is a blatant lie. The aliens released by DHS are criminals, who will put families and communities at greater risk from coast-to-coast.
According to Jessica Vaughan of CIS, here are some categories of detainees who were released from ICE detention over the last week:
- Aliens convicted of drug offenses, theft, identity theft, forgery, and simple assault;
- Aliens who were arrested and charged with local crimes, but turned over to ICE for deportation in lieu of prosecution;
- Aliens who were bonded out on local criminal charges and were placed in ICE custody as a result of a detainer (typically a public safety or flight risk); under new ICE detention priority purposes, these are “non-mandatory, non-criminal detainees”, because aliens are not considered to be dangerous or criminal until they have been convicted;
- Repeat immigration offenders (despite ICE leadership claims that these are “enforcement priorities”); and
- Recent border crossers (also supposedly an “enforcement priority”).
And DHS just released “thousands” of them, including 500 in a single weekend in a single Arizona county – without even informing the Sheriff.
So what can we expect from the criminal aliens Obama released this past week? Well unfortunately the statistics over Obama’s first term do not paint a pretty picture.
According to a study by the Congressional Research Service, nearly 47,000 illegal aliens flagged for deportation between 2009 and 2011 were instead released by the Obama Administration, and 16% of them went on to commit further crimes, including 19 murders, 3 attempted murders and 142 sex crimes, according to CRS and the House Judiciary Committee.
“The Obama administration could have prevented these senseless crimes by enforcing our immigration laws,” said Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX). “But President Obama continues to further his anti-enforcement agenda while innocent Americans suffer the consequences. His unwillingness to enforce immigration laws puts our communities at risk and costs American lives.”
When illegal aliens are arbitrarily released into communities, Americans suffer the consequences.
And why were these potentially dangerous criminal aliens released? Merely to score political points against Republicans in the battle over “sequestration”.
Which just goes to prove what Stand With Arizona and its allies have said all along: the DHS is far too politicized to be trusted to implement either the Obama or the ‘Gang of 8′ immigration reform plans - both of which give complete deference to Janet Napolitano to determine whether the border is “secure”.
This latest reckless “budget amnesty” proves that immigration and border security will simply be used as a political weapon by DHS – another reason for politicans of both parties to reject “comprehensive immigration reform” – amnesty – legislation currently being proposed.
If YOU stand with Gov. Brewer and Sheriff Joe and against illegal immigration and want to see the border secured, the rule of law upheld and amnesty for illegals stopped, then put your name where your heart is, and join the 160,000+ who have signed the petition…